Kal Kadoş Galata-Zülfaris Synagogue (Karaköy, before 1671)
According to a rabbinic document, the "Kal Kadoş Galata" Synagogue already existed in this location in 1671. Today’s building was built on the same land in 1823. The synagogue is also called “Zulfaris," which is thought to be derived from the street name “Zülf-ü Arus,” a Persian word meaning “the fringe of a bride.” The synagogue was restored several times from the end of the 19th century through the 20th century. It was converted to an art center within the Doktor Marküs Culture and Art Association, and restored by The Quincentenial Foundation in 2001. Today, it serves as the Quincentenial Foundation Museum of Turkish Jews.
Some selected examples (please click on pictures to enlarge):