Prof. Dr. Feryal İrez finished German Middle School (Deutsche Schule) and Austrian High School (Österreichische Schule) in Istanbul. In 1972-1975 she went to Austria and studied on Art History and Classical Archeology at Karl Franzens University in Graz. She graduated from the Department of Art History, Faculty of Letters in Istanbul University in 1978. Between 1978 and 1980 she worked at Dolmabahçe Palace Museum as a researcher. She completed her Doctorate "Mobilya Sanatı ve 19.yüzyıl Osmanlı Saray Mobilyası / The Art of Furniture and Ottoman Palace Furniture in the 19th century" in 1984.When she was a doctoral student, she started to work as an assistant at the Marmara University of Fine Arts Faculty in Istanbul in 1981. She became an associate professor in 1991, a tenured professor in 1998. Between 1993 and 1999, she served as the chair of the Traditional Turkish Arts Department in the same faculty. At Marmara University, she served as a director of Fine Arts Institution between 1999 and 2004, and as a Department chair of Basic Design during the years 2000-2004. Prof. İrez retired from Marmara University in 2004. At the Faculty of Fine Arts, she gave lectures on Classical Greek and Roman Art, the Renaissance, Baroque and Rococo Art, European Art in the 19th century, Ottoman Architecture and Art in Westernization. She presented her papers at many international congresses and symposiums and has published books and articles in Turkey and abroad. She has publications on the artistic relationship between East and West, Ottoman Palace Architecture in the 19th century and the history of the European and Ottoman Furniture.
Her selected Books:
19.Yüzyıl Osmanlı Saray Mobilyası / Ottoman Palace Furniture in the 19th century. (Ankara, 1989).
Boğaziçi Sefarethaneleri /The Summer Palaces of the Foreign Embassy′s in the Bosphorus. (with Hüsamettin Aksu), (Istanbul, 1992).
Yıldız Sarayı Şale Kasr-ı Hümayunu /Yıldız Palace-Chalet Kiosk. (with Vahide Gezgör), (Istanbul, 1993).
Her selected Articles:
- "Milli Saraylarımızın Mobilya Yönünden Tanıtılması". TBMM Milli Saraylar Sempozyumu, Istanbul 1984, pp.159-162.
- "Nachklaenge von Wiener Barockdekorationen bei Osmanischen Palaesten in der Türkei". Wien und der europaeische Barock.-XXV. Internationaler Kongress für Kunstgeschichte (Wien, 1983), Wien 1986, pp.129-130.
- "Tamirhane-i Hümayun ya da Sultan Abdülhamid II.′nin Marangozluğu".Tarih ve Toplum, (October 1986), Istanbul, pp. 9-12.
- "Saray Yaşamında Batı′nın Doğu′su". Tarih ve Toplum, (May 1989), Istanbul, pp. 29-34.
- "Topkapı Sarayı Harem Bölümündeki Rokoko Süslemenin Batılı Kaynakları".TKS.Yıllık 4, Istanbul 1990, pp. 21-54.
- "İstanbul′da II.Abdülhamid döneminden bir Çocuk Hastanesi:Hamidiye Etfal (Şişli Çocuk Hastanesi)". Journal of Turkish Studies, vol. 14.1990, USA: Harvard University, the Deparment of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations, Cambridge MA, 1990, pp. 247-271.
- "Kaiser Wilhelm′in İstanbul′u Ziyareti ve Şale Kasr-ı Hümayunu". Tarih ve Toplum, (January 1990), Istanbul, pp.11-16.
- "Katalogla Alışveriş ve Osmanlı Sarayı". Arredamento, Istanbul 1990, pp. 132-136.
- "Mobilya′da Kadın". Antik Dekor, No.26, Istanbul 1994, pp. 66-67.
- "Çırağan Palace:Some significiant and unknown Documents from the Palace National Archives in İstanbul”. 10th İnternational Congress of Turkish Art, Geneva 1995, Geneva: Foundation Max von Berckhem 1999, pp. 399-407.
- "19.yüzyıl Amerikan Mobilyasında Oryantalizm ve Türk Köşeleri". Uluslararası Sanatta Etkileşim Sempozyumu (Ankara, 1998), Ankara: Hacettepe Üniversitesi.Sanat Tarihi Yayını, 2000, pp.154-157.
- "Sağlam,rahat ve yalın bir mobilya üslubu:Biedermeier". Antik Dekor, No. 61, Istanbul 2000, pp. 102-106.
- "İtalyan Mobilyaları". Antik Dekor, No.63, Istanbul 2001, pp. 84-89.
- "Art Nouveau ve Art Deco Mobilyalar". Antik Dekor, No.64, Istanbul 2001, pp. 84-88.
- "18.ve 19.yüzyıl Rus Mobilyaları". Antik Dekor, No.105, Istanbul 2008, pp. 84-89.